Saturday, July 7, 2007

Ummmm, I love food storgage!



In preparations for my move to Kentucky or across town to San Diego State University I decided that it would be a great idea to put money where my mouth is, or rather put all the money I spent on food storage in my mouth and that is exactly what I have doing. For the last 2 weeks I have been living off of food storage food. I have made 4 loaves of wheat bread, 2 peach cobblers with rolled oats, 12 oat muffins, delicious rice with beans, chicken enchiladas and oatmeal every morning and all made with what I have at home. I can buy fresh fruits and veggies, but the rest is food storage. DISCLAIMER: I do go out to eat when invited, so it's not 100% food storage, but other than that is all from the cannery. And not just from San Diego. I have jam from Arizona and beef stew from Stockton, so its really an eccletic mix of food storage.
I love wheat bread. I don't know if its because I haven't eaten bread in months and missed it, but this homemade stuff is great. It's all been great. I must note that through every provident living lesson I wandered mindlessly to the depths of Middle Earth and back, but implementing the lesson into real life, I now know how important it is. As a single adult, it's hard to find the reason for 30 cans of food, but when push comes to shove, I am glad that I do have it and so are others. Family has benefitted from my new life style as seen with the picture of Stephanie eating some of the yummy delicious wheat bread, which she loves. It really brings families together and creates healthy living habits. As my grandfather pointed out, my digestive tract is right on these days thanks to all that fiber.
The real reason I did this was to eat up all this food and use all those recipes given to me in lessons. As I was searching for recipes that wouldn't make me vommit, I remembered the folder. I put all of those recipes from lessons in a folder and years later I found them. It was food storage heaven for me. I had a coffee grinder to grind the wheat, but I think that broke today after 7 cups of wheat flour were fabricated this evening. But other than that, its been smooth sailing. I still have a lot of food to eat and make, but I want to move into more of the bean and rice recipes. My grandfather told me not to go to fast and do what I can now and take it slowly. Do what I CAN now. Get it? Oh, I crack myself and that wheat up.

1 comment:

Cicada said...

You're so bizarre. Anyway. I'm glad that I helped with that food storage in my own small way...