Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Appalachian Adventures

After the best delayed flight in Chicago, I finally arrived in Appalachia Wednesday morning at 123. Well, I arrived in Louisville or the Ville, as the locals call it, an hour earlier and then drove in my Hundai elantra to Lexington. It was so green and I was so excited to be there. After my nocturnal feast I awoke and headed to the campus. I loved it as soon as I saw it. The institute is close by and right by the stadium, so when I got to all those football games I know where to park.
The campus is beautiful with all the brick buildings and rolling green hills. It's really beautiful. The humidity isn't bad at all and I went for a nice run tonight in the housing development of mansions. The houses are huge and brick. I am staying with a mission companion's sister and family and they have been wonderful. Helping with directions and giving me suggestions. Plus a nice place to stay for free. I talked with some professors and administration people here and they are all you could dream of with southern accents and all. I can do international practicums and continue to the PhD program if I want too. Plus most of the classes are are 3 or 6 pm. Love it. I just love it.
Its all so new and exciting. I checked out one place to live and will check out 2 more tomorrow right by campus so I could walk to school in less than 10 minutes. I have to buy some UK gear tomorrow and check out housing and then I will visit a historical place or 2. Something with horses. Friday I am going to the Ville, to the Slugger Museum and factory and the Muhammad Ali museum and to try some good southern cooking. So I made a pro and con list tonight of SDSU and UK and it's really tough to decide. I still have to think about a lot of stuff. But I will let you all know ASAP. Peace out from Appalachia.

1 comment:

lisa c. said...

Julia, appalachia sounds nice! I do love all the brick in the south. WE'll have to chat when you get back about all the pros and cons. But sounds like you are having a great adventure. !