Next Sally G. invited me to Chicano Park Day in Barrio Logan. It's just south of downtown and the free was built right through it, kicking a lot of people out and so the city had to build a park. Established by Chicano activists on April 22, 1970, Chicano Park has received international recognition as a major public art site for its mural paintings of the past and present struggle of Mexican and Chicano history. Plus, the lowriders were A PLENTY!!!! So many cool cars, all decked out and oh so close to the ground. Sally G and I are going to start our own car club. I was thinking of naming it "Las Chicas Blancas." I think that would look great on a gold chain and have a spinning rim in there somewhere. It will only be for mid 90's car models from countries that the U.S. helped rebuild after destroying in WWII, but are actually made in Mexico.
After waiting a super long time for a burrito, (they ran out of tortas, which are Mexican for sandwich, not cake) we enjoyed the music and traditional dancing. I applauded for the first group a really long time, because the song they danced to was probably 15 minutes long, no joke and they deserved some lovin' for just being able to make it that long. Here's what it looked like.

I did learn that people who cruise are very nice to pedestrians because they have no where to go and just want to be seen, so they let everyone cross the street. So courteous of them. I also learned that Mexican Spanish is different from other Spanish. Since when is a torta not a sweetened cake? We did have a good time looking at all the booths and jewelery. Turquoise is starting to grow on me. I'm not saying I'll go all Southwestern, but some of the pieces I would wear.
Then I hit up the Padres game vs. Pirates. We took the Trolley from Old Town (aka Mexican touristy spot)and headed downtown. I accidentally bought tickets for Sunday's game, but they still let Dayna, (other roomie) and I in. Plus, it was replica jersey night, so we walked through the line a couple of times and got some extras, just in case something should happen to the other ones. Since we didn't really have seats, we thought why not dream big and so we hit up the nice seats in front in between the pitcher's mound and 3rd base. It was a nice view, too bad the Padres were sucking it up big time. But overall a really great experience.
I thoroughly enjoyed the day of appreciating the Mexican culture and the area in which I live. Who knows how much longer I'll be here, so I gotta live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment