Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm Sailing, I'm a Sailor!

This weekend I became a skipper in the Navy with full privileges that come with the 14 foot boat that I now can take into the San Diego Bay. After our 2 day course, Big Red and I are now able to rent and take boats as we please. Thanks to our great instructors Hugo and Ray we excelled on the test, sailing the boat and life in general. We really did have to take and pass a test about nautical terms, wind conditions, safety precautions and knots. I'm quite proficient from my previous experience aboard the C.A. Thayer in 7th and 8th grade. I'm a second class seaman and appreciated the continuing education provided to me. Now that the thesis is mostly over, I'm just trying to learn life skills. Sailing is definitely one of those things I need to know.


Here is a view from the boat on the Bay

Here is me working the tiller, just doing my thing. As you can see, it's really windy out there.

Big Red showing how its done.

Big Red, Moi and Joe with our diplomas

Class picture with one of the boats that we can rent and we can rent even bigger ones. Fridays are free! I wonder what I'll be doing the next couple of Fridays

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Julia!!
This looks so fun!
Where did you take lessons?