Lately I have been on the quest for a summer internship with a county or state health department and it's been really frustrating. I've applied to Epidemiology, STD, AIDS and HEP C organizations, just trying to get my foot in the door. But most don't have internships available and if they do, they aren't paid. I've applied to a WIDE variety of places all over and it's the same story. Which made me think. What is the point of an internship that doesn't pay? Who would really work for a whole summer for free? Granted, I would if it was in let's say...Jamaica, but other than that, the odds that I would work for free are very slim and almost non-existent. I might one day feel inclined to volunteer for a praiseworthy cause, but when it comes down to it, money is the ticket. Give me those dollar bills! I'd volunteer a few hours and then have to get a real job to pay the bills.
I had one department reject me with much praise for my experience, but they just don't offer internships. That made me feel better because at least I wasn't rejected because I lack experience with STDs. I just love that I get to work in this field...one day. Oh well. I still have to hear from some other places. We'll see what happens for this summer. I may just go to Jamaica and actively search out STDs.
I hope.
The Perfect Gift...No, Really...
10 years ago
5 comments:
Never give up! Things will work out..your a very smart girl. Your going through a process of no's before you get that one great "YES".... It will come and you will be very happy. No need to go to Jamaica.
Dear anonymous,
Thank you for your note of encouragement...I don't know why you (and others strangely) wouldn't want me to go to Jamaica. It really is a trip of a life time. I'll keep trying, but do you know how long the trip is? It's not all summer.
I was just trying to put a positive spin on your situation, but sounds like your mind is made up, so why the drama? Go to Jamaica, "MON", but be carefull what you wish for as I hear it's not the safest place to visit. Don't be naive, stop whinning, and get a job.
My mind isn't made up. But Jamiaca is only 10 days, so I could still do so many other things this summer. I have a job thanks, I just want more STDs in my life, that's all.
-blogwriter
I thought you already had lots of STDs.
I have similar feelings about unpaid internships. I think they're a load of crap. Crap, I tell you! And I've been in the lucky situation to never actually have to be an unpaid intern. Stick to your standards!
Post a Comment