Friday, April 11, 2008

Friends that Chortle Together, Stay Together

There's an old adage (according to some movie) that a couple that prays together stays together. Being a religious person, I can believe that. Applying this principle to another relationship, I have found another commonality upon which people can find unity and I think I have found the word for it....chortle. Definition: to chuckle gleefully.
The idea first came to me at a church basketball game. Oddly enough I laugh a lot at these games. Not because of what's on the court, but because the company I keep. My good friend (we'll name her Mystical) is one of the funniest people ever. One of the things I like about her is that she cackles exactly like me. Not just a mild, self containing blip of momentary amusement, but a real deep down-from-your-belly chortle of pure unadulterated happiness.
Yes I know that it seems fairly common for someone to like a person with similar attributes they possess, but this got me thinking. How significant is this relationship between chortling and strength of friendship. My system of analysis was a self-conducted deep investigation into some of my friendships. The results found were that people I considered to be my better friends and long lasting friends were chortlers as well. E$, Megs, Navs, Quickhands and others are considered in this group. (I write their names because they are avid readers of the blog and deserve the recognition) But none of those people live near me, yet we remain in good contact; a sign of strength of friendship.
The discussion of this subject is in no way a reflection of requirements for my friendship. The last thing I need is a bunch of people attacking me with fake chortles. So friends mentioned and not, thanks for all the laughs. Chortlers welcomed here.

2 comments:

Designing Woman said...

WOW!!! This "mystical" person sounds amazing!! Maybe you could introduce me? Where is the promised pic of you and "mystical"? And baby shower pics...come on julia!!!

Cicada said...

I am glad to have been included. I am not good at keeping in touch with my long distance friends. You're my only exception.