Saturday, September 8, 2007

Chivalry is Dead

So, by the title of my entry I know all the boys are rolling their eyes and the lovely ladies are shouting "AMEN to that Sista!" But this week I honestly have had some really good experiences with the dating field and plus Erin has been kind enough to share some of her experiences with me as well. So with our two powers combined, we have the most awesome stories. My best example came thursday night. My sister Stephy Steph, B.I.L (Brother in Law) Jeremey, Judd and I played our weekly tennis match and of course Judd and I won, but that's not the point of the post.
After we played, I was looking good with all my sweat, metallic hair clip strategically holding my hair out of my face and pajamas, but at 1130 at Kinko's one does not think about looking good. But honestly, I looked like crap. I needed to copy textbooks in order to sell them back to the over-priced bookstore and stick one to the man.
While I was copying away, mentally noting that there are some CRAZY people in Kinko's at that time of night, one of the workers came over and used the machine next to me. We start talking, chatting about San Diego, he just moved here from New York, wanted to know what fun things there were to do around here, didn't know anyone, wanted to volunteer at the VA because he wants to go to med school, blah blah blah.
Sidenote: Stating that one is going to go to med school to a random person is not all the attractive to me. I know people who do that, and it honestly doesn't make you anymore attractive, but it does make you look like an idiot when you don't end up going. Back to the story, I leave around 1 in the manana and end up giving the guy my number, because, well, why not and he says that he'll call me the next day to get some info and wants to do something. 3 days later, no call, but I really didn't think he would anyways. I wonder if there is some game the nightshift workers at Kinko's are playing to see how many phone numbers they can get. I hope the other guy is winning because he seemed nice, but the diamond stud in his ear was smaller than the New Yorker's.
It felt good for someone to ask for my number and they always say thay you never know where you will meet the special someone, but I've honestly lost hope that it will be the old fashioned way. That he'll get the number, call you up, have some awkward silence, ask you out, and if you have a good time, you'll do it again without thinking of what your kids will look like.
My co-worker Lori said she would pay for me to go on eHarmony.com and I remembered that my best friend growing up is now engaged to a man she met there, so it acutally looked tempting. I just need someone else to write my little blurp so that it would be unbiased and I am well on my way to having some computer love. I love that I am writing this and venting becuase I know that the only boy who will read this is TJ and he'll understand where I'm coming from and I won't ruin my chances with anyone else.

11 comments:

The H Factor said...

Chivalry is not quite yet dead my fair lady, and there might be additional boys who read this blog...FYI.

Good luck with the New Yorker! But careful with eHarmony.

My learnings from your blog:
1. quit picturing what my kids would look like with potential prospects (or discussing their names --- dang, this was such a fun first date activity)
2. quit telling girs about the graduate programs I nonsensically hope to attend (i'll have to think of another way to self-promote)
3. never publish that I am participating in copyright infringement at a kinkos with a bunch of crazy people

Erin said...

I will write your blurb, is that what you called it...It will be fabulous because you my dear are just that. LOVE YOU. PS Move home!

Designing Woman said...

I loved that post!!! I feel like I could relate to just about every little story you told (especially the bad kinkos hair). You are totally right about the "doctor" thing. But, my favorite is when they tell you how much the make a year, or that they haven't cashed their last 4 pay checks :)

hairofgold said...

Thank You! I just felt like I needed voice my opinion on some things. I have never had someone tell me how much they make a year though, do they indicate if it's net or gross?

Cicada said...

I'll fight Erin for the right to write your blurb.

Also, when you find The One, make sure he's okay with our Pioneer Day tradition.

Ryan Bell said...

You've totally ruined any chance you had with me. I don't care if we do share a love of all things UFC.

3703 said...

Hello, I am the Rumbler, I am a guy and I read your blog. I saw Judd's name and thought he was going to either be rewarded for an act of chivalry or be reprimanded for unchivalrous behavior; there was neither, but the story was well-received. All should now feel informed (almost to the point of action)

lisa c. said...

So I had a similar experience, though it was my car salesman. Got my number, didn't call. But got a Christmas card out of it, I think he was just trying to hold onto my business...Amen Sista!

Peter FNFN said...

not to get into any details... but i have experience in "the olds ways" -- but it's scarier than you think.

lisa c. said...

84rkr...it is hard, but necessary. Some of us girls have tried it out as well, and it's just as scary for us as it is for you. Both sides are shaking in fear, either of making or while receiving the call.

tjcool18 said...

See Julia!

You do have more friends than just me. However they only comment on your blog when you call them out!

My friendship is deeper because I comment on your blog regardless.

I rolled my eyes upon reading this. Maybe you will learn to make yourself look pretty the next time you go to Kinko's.