Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pioneer Day Weekend

I made the trek to Zion for a job that didn't work out and luckily I found another great one that I will start on Monday. I'll be working in Downtown Zion and live just blocks away. I test drove the route today, 10 minutes and no freeways. Not bad. It's been a crazy time for me and I'm glad to report that my vagabond ways are over. I also found a place in Zion and moved in this weekend. It has a great local market, near a great park and not too many hills(good for running purposes).

On the day of celebration of my forefathers, I made the 3 block voyage to the parade where I sat in some bleachers set up for the participants of the parade who are from the sister city of Zion. There were lots of fun floats and I can't believe Stakes were sponsoring some of them. So decorative and fun. And the topics were very unique as well. I especially loved the food storage themed float. Here are some of my favorites.

The animated float.

This was the food storage float.

The diversity float.


The next day I went on a Medicinal/Edible Plant Walk on Payson Lake with my 2 aunties. Craig, from South Africa, took us around and showed us some plants that we could eat in the area. We were instructed in the medicinal ways of these plants and I learned many things. For example, all plants in the mint family have a square stem and that Stining Neddle is high in calcium and good to eat. I also learned what plants to give to someone in order to kill them. Just in case I ever get in a sequel to "The River Wild" and need to take some street person out in order to save my life and run the rapids.




Look at what a great student I am. Always taking notes.

Now I am all moved in. Went to my new ward and looking forward/nervous about the job tomorrow. We'll see how it goes as I set out on my new adventure!

4 comments:

lisa c. said...

Where are you going to be working? I'm glad to hear you're doing great and that a job, finally, worked out!

MnM said...

Zion, my old stomping ground. You'll have to give us details. Might be in the same ward where Michelle and I met.

hairofgold said...

Did you meet in the Westminster chapel. I live in between downtown and Sugarhouse. It's a great area to be in and close to work!

MnM said...

We were in the 7th Ward (I think) and met in the chapel on North Temple St. -- up the hill from the Church Office Bld. It was the same stake that the Prophet lives in.
I lived in Sugarhouse in a high rise just off of 13th E near Sugarhouse Park. I used to drive through that area near Westminster College every day on my way to work at the UofU Hospital. Michelle owned a house around there somewhere too.
We lived on 11th East between 1st and 2nd South when we got married.