

The next day we dared to challenge the Snake River and went rafting. The water was super high and quick so we were able to go 3 times We started out with 2 boats, but as the day progressed and the weather became more inclement, people crumbled to the power of the river. At the 3rd run, we had 10 people in one boat which wasn't very full of air and had the most amazing ride. At one rapid, the boat bent in half and 3 people just fell into the water. It was so perfect and that was definitely our best ride. The Big Kahuna, The Lunch Counter and all the other rapids were amazing.
I was very proud of myself for not falling in the river. I almost always fall in the river while rafting. I did get in the water but not for my disrespect of the river, but by the tackling of another rafter who thought I wasn't respecting him. The water FREEZING!!!!! (thanks Jake) But such a great time.
That night watched "A River Wild" with Kevin Bacon and Meryl Streep. I thought it only appropriate for the river excursion that we had just experienced. Then we watched the movie 21, because we played Scum, so it was also appropriate for our activities.
The next day most people left and we headed up to Jackson Hole Wyoming for some 4th of July festivities. The drive there was amazing and the mountains are beautiful. We walked around town and listened to the community band, did a little window shopping and then had some lunch. We were all pretty tired, so we found a park and pulled out the sleeping bags and went to sleep. Little did we know that it was actually a Lutheran church and there was a day camp going on with kids getting pie thrown in their faces.

It started to rain and hail, but no worries, we were under the tree and just toughed it out like cowboys on the plains. I sang the appropriate John Denver song for the moment. The best was just listening to all the people walk by and comment on our sleeping. I heard lots of laughter but my favorite was "Mommy, who's dying there?" No one sugar, just sleeping it off. But I didn't get wet at all from the rain. It was good sleep too. After that we went to the shootout and watched cowboys shoot guns. Did you know that Wyoming had the first female sheriff and a bunch of other femmy 1sts as well. Who knew?

We had dinner at the most wonderful hamburger place called Bill's Cadillac Grill. The best hamburger ever and it had a really cool 50's diner feel to it. After filling up we headed to the rodeo for some good ol'American fun. Nothing makes me feel more independent than rodeos. Honestly, how could you not feel proud to be an American at a rodeo? We sat next to some Argentines that were just eating it up too. The best was the mass hysteria of kids running after 2 sheep.


After the rodeo the fireworks were the next street over and we enjoyed the whole show and walked out to "Born in the USA" by the Boss. It was glorious. We drove most of the night home and I got back to P-town at 6, and was so ready for some sleep after that. It was a great weekend and I had love the outdoors.
No comments:
Post a Comment