Monday for my writing class we had an expressive art therapist come and talk to us about writers block and all the things that would prevent us from writing our best. One thing that she had us do was to close our eyes and think of our topic. (mine is a bacteria) We were instructed to think of a image that represents our topic. Then we had to draw it with pastels. I have mine and will post pics. Then she had us write topics and keywords and basically anything related to our topic. Really it's an exercise to help us realize how much we already know about the topic, and not to let our fear of not knowing anything hinder us from writing.
Getting out all the ideas in our head relieves our stress of the "big elephant" we have to eat. Then after all the little exercise we drew another image that represented our topic. Look at the difference. One is a ball of gaseous molecules with bits of bright lights coming out of it. She interpreted this as meaning that I had good thoughts of "bright lights" but that they were all stuck and not able to escape my mind and be put onto paper.
The next drawing is steps on the beach and yes there are only one set, so I'm not talking the religious footsteps where there were 2 at one point and there were 1 set. But they start at the beach and then head to a clear blue and then a darker blue. Meaning that I know where I am going, I might know all of the details, but the subject matter is "deep" and I can't stand still .
So after all the little lessons, we talked about getting our creative side flowing. She suggested that we draw or other things that are more left brained. Then she asked if any of us had creative things we like to do. I looked around, raised my hand and proudly announced that I was a quilter. I explained that my one creative tendency was quilting. I enjoy cutting up pieces of fabric and then sewing them back together losing inches of fabric in the process.
She informed me that it was a sign of intelligence because working with my hands and feeling the texture of the fabric stimulated my forgotten brain parts. I told her that when I'm really stressed I don't quilt and she gasped. That is the time when I need to quilt the most. So next time I'm stressing out about stuff, you'll find me in a pile of fabrics feeling for textures and I know that's what will get my brain parts a flowin'.
The Perfect Gift...No, Really...
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment