Last night was the anticipated Mets vs Padres game where I would wear my Orange and Blue with pride. It was also the first time that I was able to get with Mck since she moved to Carlsbad last year. I arrived early, coming from a border health conference, and waited for McK at the willcall booth. (I'll save the stories of table talk from a table that included a Mormon, a gay couple, a Catholic and a statistician for another post) But as I waited I unzipped my sweater and wore my shirt with pride. I honestly don't think that I have had so many people stare at my chest, but the results were fun. A wide variety of comments were thrown my way. These included:
1) The normal cheering and applause.
2) Love your shirt sweetheart. (In a very thick New York accent.)
3) It was 20 years ago, get over it.
4) Were you even alive then?
5) Where'd you get that?
6) What are you doing later?
7) Bill Buckner sucks.
8) Go Mets.
Even Mck was surprised at the amount of response the shirt brought. It was a fun night. Catching up with McK was incredible. Of course she looked like a million bucks, all styled out. I wouldn't expect anything less from the girl who turned me on to bronzer, designer bags and Caravaggio. Our seats were behind home base, way up. But still great view, when we actually watched the game. Man did we talk and laugh. I hadn't laughed like that in a while. The family sitting next to me even got up and moved, good thing it was all PG-13 subject matter. If it wasn't we would just switched to Italian. She reminded me of so many good times from the mish. She was such a fun companion and I remember laughing with her a lot. Some stories:
1) We made a video dedica to our Zone leaders before they left and decided which one was more likely to marry a certain sister missionary he served with and which one was more likely to go inactive. We also did impersonations of them which were shockingly true to nature.
2) We had so many boyfriends in Rome, it's hard to keep up with all of them. I found out last night that she fulfilled every sister missionary's dream and dated some of them. I'm so jealous.
3) We got assaulted on the metro all the freakin' time.
4) I once taught a partial discussion to a saleswoman in the Louis Vuitton store on Via Carroti.(a street with all the names in designer fashion) I even gave her a BoM, yes I was there looking to purchase a bag, but I didn't.
5) We had some incredible P-Days in Rome, learning all we could about art. She knew a lot already. and was very knowledgeable on all of them.
6)A particular day in which she gave a diatribe on the lack of capitalism in Italy. I couldn't stop laughing because she was so passionate and it was so true.
7)Her frequent gazes at moles with long hairs spurting out of them. A particular bus ride brought her a few mere inches from one and I couldn't get her to stop staring, which brought me to tears.
So many more stories, some not publishable, but just being with her reminded me of all the great times. Makes me want to go back to Italy and be a tour guide for a summer. I would love it. I love her and her independent intellectual self.
The Perfect Gift...No, Really...
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment