Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Quilt Whisperer

Today I got to take a thesis break and head over to my favorite quilt store Rosie's in La Mesa. I've really gotten familiar with the store hours and knew that they were open late tonight. I brought a recent quilt top that I had finished and needed to buy borders and decide colors. This is the part where Truth would normally step up and do it for me because I have no sense of fabric and still think that it's ok to use a plain color in quilt fabrics. (You can use a small print) So as I am sitting on the floor with fabrics all around(sitting because this is a very family-like atmosphere and I don't know how else to look at fabrics)
This very nice lady just starts helping me and picking out fabrics for me. Asking me what colors I was thinking and what kind of people the quilt was for. I'll call her the Quilt Whisperer. Then at one point the Quilt Whisperer apologizes for butting in, but just likes to help others pick out fabric, but doesn't seem to get her own projects down. I assure the Quilt Whisperer that the help is most welcomed and discuss further options of coloring schemes.
Then, at the cash register I brought up the fabrics we had chosen and the employee helped me calculate how much I needed for each border and color. She couldn't be happier to help me. She compliments my choice of color, but I inform her of my help from the Quilt Whisperer and that she should receive the credit.
As we look around the store for the Quilt Whisperer, she is no where to be found. And just like that, poof, she was gone. I'll always remember the good times we had and how wonderful she was for me. The quilt will look AMAZING!!!

No comments: