Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Life After Finals Week


This finals week marked the ending of my first year in grad school. It was a nice feeling to turn in that last one and just realized that I had all summer to recuperate..or did I. Thursday was the last day and to mark that happy occasion, I went to the beach. Not intending to stay long, I didn't put on sun screen. Let's just say that I knew it would be a long weekend. Thanks goodness the roomies were gone so that I could cover myself with Lidocaine Aloe Vera. I went through half a bottle already.
Friday I attended the Relief Society campout at Lake Jennings. Sally G-Funk and I were the first ones there and we thought we were totally roughing it until we saw kids walking home from school to the RV park next to our campground. It was only 20 minutes from our house and that was super nice. But I have to be honest, camping in the desert isn't as fun as when there are trees. I spent 2 hours taking apart pallets with no utensils. Basically I threw it, jumped on it, used Sally purely for her body weight and managed to cut myself up a bunch. But the fire was AMAZING and totally worth it. It was way to big and the campground security came twice to tell us all the things we were doing wrong. I'll let you guess who was in charge of the campfire.
We had banana boats and smores and it was really a lot of fun. Then I got a bunch of people to play truth or dare. But at that point of the night we were all too lazy to pick dare, so it was more like truth or truth. I slept underneath the stars and woke up at 4 just cause. I kept dreaming that rattle snakes would bite my ears. Couldn't go back to sleep so at 6 I went for a nice morning hike and by the time I got back to camp, everyone else was up.
We had a nice little breakfast and then played dare or dare. It's like truth or truth only with dares. The dare was to people standing in line to eat this gross fruit platter from Costco that tasted synthetic. Most people didn't even know that they were playing until after. But it was very entertaining. Packed up the stuff and got back home by 9. Shortest camping trip I ever went on.
The sweetest thing was the 3 hour nap I took that day. It was so nice and I loved it. Sunday was full of church and then almost 3 hours of Rockband. So my stance on video games may be changing, but it's still too early to tell. That will be another blog.

2 comments:

Designing Woman said...

Oh, my dear friend Julia....oh how i miss you, let me count the ways. Well, maybe i wont count because i don't have a lot of time and that is a long list!!! But, I do wish I went to the camp out, it looks like it was blast. Can't wait to see you again....YES!!!

Anonymous said...

You look great in this picture!