I've been in Jamaica 4 days now and it seems to go by so fast. We have classes every morning from local leaders in the community regarding AIS/HIV, Malaria, Rodents, Safe Water, Food Borne Illnesses and other public health classes. After that we have after noon field trips. Monday we went to a water sanitation place of a dam and got to see how they sanitized the water here. They say its drinkable, but we've been advised not to. We also saw a sewage treatment plant that is as old as the university, so its old. We are living in these nice little bungalow type dorms and yesterday I saw a mongoose running around. The cockroaches are huge, can fly and scary.
Yesterday we went to some mosquito breeding site and caught them. We went with the local vector control team. Those guys were totally Jamaicans. Dreaded hair, big smiles, shirts of red, yellow and green. Totally fun too. They showed me the local hand shake. Not too bad for a whitey like myself.
Last night I went to this huge street party in the ghetto. A DJ just set up music and people came. I handed out condoms. It was so much fun and I have never seen anything like that before. The music was awesome and people were just dancing around then a car would come, split the crowd, and then they would go back to dancing. I just love how everyone is out and about.
We are split up into 3 teams, I'm on the vector control team so I'll be working with mosquitos the next couple of days. There are 45 people total. 10 for SD, 10 from UAB and 15 Jamaicans. The Jamaicans are mostly females. MDs, nurses, vets and really amazing people. I love being here and love the tropics. It's not as hot or humid as people think and I can't get enough. I love learning and having it really applicable right then in the field. The food is good. I try everything, but dumplings seem to be my favorite so far. I still need to try the Patties. They're like empenadas sort of. There is so much culture here and people are out all through the night.
Next to us is a church tent and the music doesn't stop. It's loud reggae music then sort of choir music.
The fruit is great. I try everything. Breadfruit, ackee, blackies, crazy stuff I don't know what it is. one thing made my tongue yellow and really dry. i drink water like crazy and still can't get enough. They eat a lot of starchy food and meat. I'm still getting used to eating fish in the morning. But my stomach is doing great. No problems.
It has been great experience so far, lots of group work, seeing real people where they live, what their health information and services is like and I'm really grateful to be here.
I'll post pictures later when I get home, but just know that I have used my magnetic pointer and it was a big success.
The Perfect Gift...No, Really...
10 years ago
1 comment:
That sounds like such an awesome experience!!!
Steve is working with a guy from China who had never heard of Jamaica until they started winning track events in the Olympics this last week. He can't beleive that such a small country can produce so many amazing runners when the city he's from is 10x as big:)
Post a Comment