
The most wonderful even has occured. ABC online is now showing the series My So Called Life. I remember watching these years ago when when they were shown on MTV. Back in the day when flannel shirts and leggings were in and Seattle was the hottest spot in music. I love Claire Danes as Angela Chase with her red hair and incredibly intelligent thought process that all us viewers get to sample.
But the real high light of the show is Mr. Jared Leto as Jordan Catellano, the love interest of Angela. He has this mysteriousness that all truly wanted males have. He has friends, but we don't ever see them or learn of their names. He has the "I'm so chill" effect that adds to his appeal. Yes, he can't read very well and completely lacks normal communication skills, but those moments in which he does show his vulnerable side are well worth the flaws.
So when conversing with other ladies about Jordan, it was unanimous that we all loved him. But looking at all the flaws, why did we love him? He's decent looking, but not uber-hot. He's not motivated unless you consider him writing a song about his car for the band, never missing 5th period shop class or hanging out with the infamous Tino.
Then it dawns on us. We love him, because in the story, he's unobtainable. He doesn't show up when he's supposed to, never calls and just kisses Angela at the most random times. Never committing to more than that. Always keeping her interested, but never letting her in. He is a wanted man because she can't have him all to herself like she wants.
That's the appeal. Wanting something you can't have, makes you want it more and makes it more appealing. But take that factor away and what's really left? He's not that amazing and I don't think that I really love him. But I do enjoy the show and will keep watching, but after this little analysis of Jordan, he'll never have the same effect on me ever again.
3 comments:
I have to check out the show now! What have I been missing? Unobtainable only gets him so far in the end...Move onto the guy who is going to have a crush the rest of eternity ;-)!
Julia! I discovered My So-Called Life my freshman year of college. I bought the whole series on DVD, and my roommate thought I was NUTS because I was so addicted to it. Every night I'd put in on my computer and sit at my desk with headphones on, munching Waffle Crisp cereal out of a giant cup, wondering of Jordan would kiss Angela. Good times.
I'm so glad to know that MSCL is available for public consumption! I LOVED those days....
Post a Comment