Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'll never claim it?

So while home for the Thanksgiving madness, I saw my next door neighbors while on a walk. Marc, the kind fellow that he is asks the usual small talk questions and we are great at these little chats. Somewhere along his years of being my neighbor, he found out that I really love Nor-Cal bumper stickers. It was probably when I saw his and asked where he got it from and if he could get me one too. But ever since then all of our conversations somehow turn to a point where we comment on the last sticker we saw and if we liked it or not. This time at the normal point in our chat, he said that he had one for me. I was so excited and there on my sister's car when we left for church sat a new sticker for me.
Stephy just rolled her eyes and stated "You do know that you live in So-Cal now and have for the last part of your life?"
"Yes, but I'm not from San Diego" I replied.
"When are you ever going to claim it. You've lived there for 6 years."
"I'll never claim it." I stated.

This got me thinking. Sure I have lived here for the last 6 of 8 years of my life. But it's still not a majority or even enough for me to want to claim it. Don't get me wrong, I love San Diego. There is a lot of fun things to do, but I don't want to end up here. This is not another Nor-Cal is so much better rant, but more a declaration of purpose. I go to school here. That's what I do. When the schooling is done, I might go somewhere else.

I still have my home address in Stockton, still registered to vote there and most of my medical records there as well. Only this year did I get my immunization record from my mom. Maybe that's a sign that I might be staying down here permanently or just that I'm becoming more of an adult. Whatever it is, it's happening.
Speaking of immunization records. Today when I went to show the SDSU nurse mine, she pulled it out and said, "Oh, how precious. It's so little. I've never seen one that small. How cute!" Um.... a little weird. That's the piece of paper that is the proof I won't infect others with Hepatitis B and she found that cute. So apparently Utah County records department thought that making little records would be better than the normal sized ones. But just a funny story from today.

3 comments:

lisa c. said...

I have to agree, live here, love here, not from here.(I'm registered to vote up there as well, I'm a little concerned that I will get pulled for jury duty up there sometime, oops, oh well:)

kim said...

Just wait until you somehow end up living in Provo, and then you'll be more than happy to claim SD as home :) Although I HATE to claim so-cal--SD is NOT So-Cal--it is so much more and shouldn't ever be associated with LA (no strong opinions here ;)

soybeanlover said...

I used to claim SD, but now Nor Cal has the biggest claim on my heart. You just realized how much better it is that much earlier. Props to you!