Wow, what an eventful week I had.
I went on an exchange to the area of Rabbie Ridge. It is a township. I was able to go with Elder Lewis, (a good friend that was in the MTC with me). Our First appointment was with a less active. A few sentences into the small talk she says “I have found another church and will not be attending with you anymore.” This came as a huge shock. We asked her why and she said she had so many problems and the other church was more into African traditions than ours. She also said that she enjoyed the drums there. So we tried are best to bear testimony and get her to realize that it’s not about the drums it’s about the truth. She didn’t know English all that well so this was difficult. We taught her for a few minutes but weren’t getting anywhere. I ran out to the car to get my hymn book. Came back, asked her what her favorite hymn was and then sang “The Spirit of God.” She sang along. Then she confirmed what time church started and told us that she would be there. It was really cool to see the miracle of a simple hymn.
On Wednesday there was a sort of promotional for helping hands at the area office. My Zone and I were there to help with the set up, parking, presentation and clean up. So the Area Presidency which were are all general authorities worked through me to coordinate with what the Elders should do and what they should do. It was cool to be close to them and to help them. There were some good Elders there so I didn’t have to try too hard to make things work.
Thursday evening, I escorted Brother Kenneth from Katlehong ward through the temple. I didn’t baptize him but I became his friend while I was there. It was a very cool experience. The biggest surprise of all was when I saw about 20 people from the Sandton ward there. They were all there for Dallin De Kock’s endowments. He is leaving for the MTC and later Uganda this Thursday morning. He stays at the house where we stay now. So I know the family well and they know me well. We ended up going through a different session so that it would still be special for Brother Kenneth.
I had an appointment with Sister Marian Irwin, the long time less active and now active member. I gave her a new member kit that has the standard works and gospel principles along with other church materials. She was=2 0stocked to have it. And thanked me very much. She even had me write in the front cover of her triple. The first time I think I’ve done that for someone. It was really cool because she has come so far while I’ve been here. Mom, if you want to email her (ask for it next week, I left it at the flat). Sorry.
She came to church 3 Sundays in a row now. She is on fire, and she loves reading the Book of Mormon.
Saturday morning was something very special. I should have been Africa-wide service day/project. I ditched out because Brother Peter Maluleka of Katlehong took out his endowments and he asked me to escort him. He is the one that I tracted into and then baptized on my birthday. I remember taking him to the temple for baptisms for the dead. It was then that I set the goal for him to be ready and worthy for his endowments before I went home. It happened!! And it was awesome. Of course he was shocked with some things but he really enjoyed the celestial room. I think the best part was when he asked the temple worker at the entrance desk on the way out when he can come back to the temple. I real experienced the scripture in Moses 1:39 as I watched and experienced Peter’s progression.
I’ve also received transfer news. I will be heading off to the city of Bloemfontein. It is in the Freestate province. That means I will get to spend a few days in Lesotho. That is super cool if you ask me. I’m pretty excited. I already have served around my future companion, named Elder Alred from Utah. The town is very Afrikaans, so that won’t be so fun. I will now be back to super sweet P-days.
So yesterday was my last Sunday in Sandton. I’ve really learned this ward well and made a lot of friends. In fact when they were announcing that I was leaving they mentioned that I have made a lot of friends. I like to think that I should be very personal with people, like President Monson. Saying goodbyes isn’t nice because everyone knows that there are only a few people that I will stay in contact with for a while. And I know it too.
Because it was Dallin De Kock’s farewell, Sister De Kock roped my companion, Brother Keller, Brother Andrew De Kock and myself into a musical number. Yeah it was my first ever. And it didn’t even turn out half bad. It was a cool song w ith some sort of EFY song with “Onward Christine Soldiers” in the background. I was lucky enough to sing the Christine Soldiers part.
Amos passed the sacrament for the first time. He did great. He is really getting to be a part of the ward which is what I have been worried about. He even called a member and was able to go to helping hands. Week by week he gets more excited about the church and the things he is learning. He told us at an appointment after reading some of the Pearl of Great Price: “Anyone who says that Joseph Smith wasn’t a prophet is dreaming… the bible is so shallow when compared to all that we have in this church…I have had so many of my long time questions answered.” He went on to share more of his testimony with me at our last appointment. I also shared my testimony with him and gave him a hug before saying goodbye. He was my one and only baptism in Sandton, but he made it worth it. I feel like he is getting trained to be a branch president when he goes back to stay in Zimbabwe for good.
I’ve had a pretty good week and a good 6 months in Sandton. I’m ready to move onto a not so much traffic part of South Africa. Although I will be driving a lot like my first area because the zone is so spread out. I think we have a cd player in the car though. That’s sweet.
I hope you all have a spiritual experience this week. So make it happen
Elder Hall
Don’t forget that I love you
The Perfect Gift...No, Really...
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment