Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Julian Vaca

Yesterday I was able to embark on a little vaca to the cute little city of Julian in San Diego County. It's the Apple Hill of Southern California. My school friend lives here and drive the 1.5 hours everyday to school. The drive out there in the desert was a little warm. Especially since I don't have AC in the Golf. But come on, the car is 12 years old and now the license plate holder on the back is falling off. VP has a house in the middle of Julian right off of the main street with lots of apple trees. She has Jonathon, Yellow Delicious, Red Delicious and some other type. But we went out and picked apples and then peeled them. I was fortunate to use a knife that her Grandfather made over 50 years ago that has never been sharpened. We made 2 jars of applesauce, 2 apple pies, and apple bread.
We took a nice little walk around town and had dinner at the Rongbranch. It wasn't the right place to eat, but it was good enough. I was ravenous and finished my pulled pork sandwich in no time. We also watched Made of Honor while working on a study sheet, and that was a terrible movie and very predictable. This morning I got up after 10 hours of sleep and we went for a nice little run. We ran by the Gold mine, Orchard Inn, the high school and the blue grass festival. The altitude was killing me and it was only 4,000 ft. Ugh.
I learned many things I will need in the future for my self sustaining house. How to make knives, keep an orchard without pesticides, make apple pie crust, how to can something, what plants to have to make sure I have fresh fruit every season and that the bottom drawer of a fridge can keep fruits and veggies for months! Who knew? I can't wait for my self sustaining house.
It was the perfect little vaca for me this weekend. I've been totally stressed with school stuff and it really felt like a get away. I woke up this morning in fresh clean mountain air totally relaxed and ready to go. VP said I could come back when its winter and we could do some fun mountain stuff then. As I walked out the front door I saw a stack of fire wood and imagined the possibilities of that future trip.

No comments: