
I have a new part time job work for the Utah Jazz.(thanks Logan!) I will be working the "Fox Box" for FSN for all the opposing teams that play the Jazz. Let me break it down even further. Whenever a team plays the Jazz in SLC, I will be controlling the scoreboard that the opposing team fans see in their respective city/state. So I will be doing score, team FG, team 3Pts, fast break points, turnovers, fouls, etc. I won't be working every home game, but a lot it sounds like.
So what does my job look like? Let me walk you through a typical day.
5pm-Arrive at players entrance, look super cool going in past security. Head to the trailer. It's a trailer in the Arena where FSN is located.
515-Download any promo/ads that need to be seen that game. It varies game to game and the frequency during the game varies as well.
530-Practice the scoreboard details, timing of feed, technical kinks get worked out.
600-Free dinner in the press room. They always provide a free dinner and the reporters for TV, radio, internet agencies rub elbows.
630-Practice more of the technical aspects of job, practice promo/ad roll ins
700-Air time, no more practice
713-Game time, keep score, FTs, FGs, 3pts, turnovers, break away points, blocks for each quarter. Making sure to put in promos at appropriate points. TV breaks at 3,6,9 minutes and adjusting score board for roll in and roll out or lower third graphics
945ish-Game over, make sure everything is cool and leave. See a few players leaving as well, walk through the fans waiting for them.
It's a super crazy environment and people are yelling at each other, but also criticizing the game. Lots of swearing. This is the room that controls the commercials, stats, graphics, replay clips and teasers and the pre and post game services. It's amazing how fast these people work. Totally Type A personalities and errors are not allowed!
So I'm working the Monday game as well, and then technically my training is over. I can hardly wait for the season. PS did I mention that I get paid for this? Man, my life is super sweet!

Pretty much like this!
7 comments:
You have got to be kidding me!!!How the heck did you get this gig!!
you are my HERO!!!
So how did Monday night go?
Monday went well. I made 2 errors, so hopefully no one in the Texas area really noticed them. I didn't leave in a promo long enough and I forgot to enter a promo. Next week I work the U Volleyball game and the BYU Men's BBALL game. Already loving the opportunities.
They're called the "Utah" Jazz, not the "Salt Lake" Jazz.
Just so you know ;) Congrats, sounds like fun!!
This is a really nice gig. Ugh, jealous! I especially love how you have "look super cool" in your schedule breakdown. Haha. Time management, right? =]
Good luck at your new job.
Lorraine.
I wish I could say I was jealous, but I AM jealous you got to perform a muppet at the Jim Henson exhibit you went to. There weren't any at the one we went to. SO lucky.
Sounds like a fun and you actually get paid for this? How did you manage to land such a job?
Post a Comment