Yes, it was quite an accomplishment. This weekend I went back to my hometown to gather all my belongings and bring them to Zion. I rented the smallest truck they had, I don't really have that much stuff, but it did take a while to load up. I spent most of the day Friday throwing out things and giving much to D.I. (Goodwill).
Saturday I walked up and down stairs moving the stuff that would be going with me. My calves were killing me!!! It could also be the gym class with Deanna that's killer, but so much fun. Truth luckily had a wheel barrel(or wheelbarrow depending on where you live) and I was able to utilize that to the fullest from the front door to the truck door. After packing it all, I parked it extremely close to the garage so that a person would not be able to get anything out of it.
Sunday morning I awoke at 6 and after showering, I started my trek. Truth tells me then that Grandpa had offered to have Nana come with me. How sweet! But I had a wonderful book on tape that kept me company the whole time. It was a 10 hour drive and I only had to stop once for gas in Winnemucca. I always seem to stop there on these trips. About an hour out from Salt Lake, the truck started to make funny noises and bumping. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw pieces of black tire flying in the air. Holy Crap! I pull over and check all the tires, they are all fine and still inflated, so I continue on my way.
I make it to Salt Lake and take the exit for my house and BAM! the tire goes flat. I pull into a A&W parking lot and see that that tire is blown out. I call the lovely people at Budget and they say someone will be there in 60 minutes. After 2 hours, someone does show up. I'm 2 miles from my house and had to wait 2 hours! But I see on his wrist a hospital visitor's band that says "Baby Boy." Then I realize that he left the hospital to come help me. That was so nice of him.
I have some wonderful friends who came over that night to help me move and we did it in about an hour. I left the heavy stuff for Philip and our new Zimbabwean friend to move. After making dinner for some folks and connecting over Africa, UC schools and teaching, I started putting stuff away. I have a lot of crap that I still need to get rid of.
The next day I take the rental truck in, but no one is there. There is a sign that reads "Be back by 11:50" which is good because they close at 12 due to the holiday. As I get out of the truck I see something along the side. It's GRAFFITI! Someone had spray painted along the driver's side and back of the truck. Oh man, I couldn't wait to see how much that would cost. So the guys finally come back from lunch and take a look at the truck. I don't say a word, because honestly I don't know what to say. Here's what the conversation went:
Budget Man: So what's up with the graffiti?
Me: I have no idea. I don't remember it being there in Stockton.
Budget Man: Stockton? There are a lot of gangs in Stockton.
Me: Yeah, but it doesn't look like Stockton gang stuff. It's too happy. (making small talk)
Budget Man: (laughs) Yeah, we have some posers around here (looks at watch and notices its almost noon)
I stand by waiting
Budget Man: Don't worry about it, have a great day.
I would just like to point out something really funny. How would I know the difference between graffiti from Stockton and Utah? I'm all talk when it comes to gangs. And how did he know that there were so many gangs in Stockton? So on my walk home, I walked down the street and notice many other things that the artists had decided to paint.
It was a nice walk home and I did get most of my stuff put away. Then I went on a date and went to a BBQ. I still can't believe the weekend, but then now I only have 2 more days left of work this week. Not bad.
The Perfect Gift...No, Really...
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment