Saturday, January 3, 2009

JoBurg Day 1

We got into town and went straight from the airport to the First Presidency Fireside in a place where Philip served called Katlehong. It's a township like Soweto and as we were driving through, I say my first dead body on the street. A teenager had been hit by a car. Phil says it happens all the time there. After seeing his driving, I can believe it. The car we rented was another taxi-like bus, so all the people throwing signs to us we a little perplexed when we would drive by. Just a bunch of white people in the township. Curtis loved driving and started learning proper taxi procedures for picking up people or telling them that the bus was full.
That fireside was so much fun. The people there just loved PhillyBoy and remembered him from over a year ago. He loved it too. We got to meet some people we baptized and took to the temple a year later. We stayed for a while and just chatted with the people.
The church building was a double chapel. The nicest building in the area and it was surrounded by electrical wired fence. They did have a nice greenhouse and play area too.
Afterwards we went to a place called Carnivore. It's a place where you can eat all sorts of meats like zebra, ostrich, crocodile, kudo and other deer like creatures. The workers come around with these big skewers of meat and ask if you want some. They also bring out a platter with all sorts of sauces. So when they bring a meat they also suggest some of the sauces as well. It was really good, except I don't really like crocodile meat.
I was feeling a little queasy before we got there and after all that weird meat my stomach was not handling it well. So on my way to the bathroom, I threw up twice. It was the first time since 2001 I believe, but I felt great afterwards. Funny thing was that no one at the table knew what was happening because I just quickly slid away. When Tamara came to find me, she just followed the trail I had left. I would highly suggest this restaurant to someone with a strong stomach. My favorite was the kudo meatballs. The zebra tasted a little like pork.






This is what I ate earlier that day that I think made me sick. It was some sort of meat thing from a roadside stand in the middle of Africa. Plus the PS I love you bar probably didn't help either. But Mr. Kim ate one too and he didn't get sick. Well, maybe I"m just lucky like that.


1 comment:

soybeanlover said...

AWESOME! My dad has been to the Carnivore too.