Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm a Godfather Junkie



For some strange reason, I don't know exactly why, I love the Godfather movies. I can't blame it on my time in Italy, because the fondness of the family Corleone started way before that. I don't normally watch a lot of tv, but I always seem to find the channel running the Godfather marathon for a whole weekend. Usually it's when I head home and have some time to sit down and actually enjoy a tv program. Truth would wake up in the middle of the night and come into the family room as I stared at Micheal, Kate and Freddo finding their ways in New York, Sicilia, Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe. This weekend at 2am my roommate comes in to see me curled up on the couch with eyes glued to the tv while Micheal and Freddo are in Havana and Michael finds out Freddo betrayed him. Love that brotherly kiss.
I'm just fascinated by them. I can't get enough, how does a guy beat up his brother in law or have his brother killed? I can't believe Kate stayed that long to tell you the truth. And that one time he says that she gets to ask him about his work, he totally lies to her still. I love the murder methods, the stranglings, the gun shots to the eye, the dead horse head in your bed, the car bomb that killed the Sicilian wife, the strange guy in all black roaming around the house and priest getting it too. I still can't believe the oldest brother was killed like that.
I love the movies so much I've even been to Francis Ford Coppola's winery in Napa valley. It's where he stores a lot of the memorabilia like the Academy and Oscar awards, the music he wrote for the movies, clothes and so on. It's a little piece of Godfather heaven.
But the best thing about it all is Marlon Brando. He was so great in these movies and I love watching him. Could barely understand what he was saying, but that's part of what was amazing. I love to watch the dynamics of his relationship with his different sons, his wife and his business partners. Is it weird that I sort of want to be "in the family?" Maybe I could marry Michael's son? But then I think that I would be so paranoid that everyone was lying to me or trying to have me killed. How does Michael ever sleep? How does he ever trust anyone? Yeah, it makes for good television, but I don't think I want to be "in the family."

2 comments:

Logan Lamech said...

I know what you mean about being a junkie, I have on three seperate occasions watched all 3 in one day, it comes out to like 9 and 1/2hours or something like that. Soon after I made the rule to not watch them more than once in a year to keep them fresh. I can never get over the scene where duvall tells brando about sonny, man thats a movie. And "Look what they did to my boy," I better stop, I could go on and on.

Logan Lamech
www.eloquentbooks.com/LingeringPoets.html

Petit Elefant said...

Is it completely terrible that I've never watched it? I don't know if it's the violence or what but I've never been able to venture too far in.