Monday, May 14, 2007

The Opera Jerk

Two weeks ago I wanted to go to the opera "The Marriage of Figaro" and sent out an email to some friends and the lovely Melanie responded with the only "Yes" to the invitation. So we set the date and decided to go. Tuesday at work I invited my fellow co-worker Nate to attend. After deciding that skipping math class to attend the opera was his best decision, we planned to meet at 5:00 to by the cheap tickets. I took off early from work and got in line with all the other opera junkies. As Melanie and Nate showed up later we bought tickets and waited for the start of the show.
While waiting, Melanie and I were discussing some dinner options and mentioned the fact that it was almost 4 hours long. Nate gets a look of pure shock on his face and says, "It's 4 hours long?" Poor guy didn't get the memo that I sent out earlier about the opera (as I did not send it to him) and I completely forgot to mention this to him when I extended the invitation. What a jerk! Melanie and I felt bad so we bought him some food. As we are walking back to the Civic Center, Melanie and I discuss the opera further and mention the fact that it's in Italian. Nate gets that same look on his face and asks, "It's in Italian?" OH, now I am a jerk because not only did NOT mention the amount of time we will spend watching an opera in another language with supertitles, but Melanie and I start to laugh at this point. He really had no idea what he was in for.
The opera was alright. The one part I was looking forward to was the part when Figaro says his name over and over again, but it was so short and not like any of the cartoons I had ever seen growing up. But I did recognize a lot of the music. I didn't really LOVE this opera, but I didn't fall asleep either. At one point Nate turns to me and says, "Julia I know how I can pay you back for this wonderful evening. A nice long, strenous hike with no water." I look forward to the hike.

1 comment:

Cicada said...

I started reading "A nice, long, sensuous..."

I thought it was going to get steamy. Alas.

Have you ever really enjoyed an opera? I haven't.