This Mother's Day weekend was the BEST EVER!! I decided that 2 days wasn't enough time for a real Mother's Day weekend, so I turned it into 4 days.(I can do that with only working 30 hours a week and having 2 classes.) And the question of what to get my Mum had already been answered thanks to my friend Melanie from the opera night. We somehow were discussing Texas Mums and the next day she sent me a link of how to make one. It was everything you thought a Homecoming corsage from Texas would be and with a skill level rating of 3 I thought "Ruthie would love a mum."
I owe most of my creative powers to the 1st graders at Lincoln Elementary of Mrs. Bird's class. After I spent Thursday morning cutting out geometric shapes of tissue paper for them to place on their butterflies, my creative juices were flowing like a river in spring time when the snow has just melted. After having lunch with my dad I went to Michael's and got all the fixings for one fine looking mum.
I superglued the flowers onto the front piece of cardboad and stapled the ribbons onto the second piece. I attached bells, flowers, patches and all sorts of rick rack to make it the best Mum's mum I could. I attached letters to spell "World's Best Mum, I love Ruth, Quilts and Marathons(cause that's what she likes to do) and Hugs and Drugs."(cause that's what she likes to deal on the rough streets of Stockton)
Friday was the big run day. When I say big run, I mean big run. Ruthie and I ran 20 miles (all at one time as Lori B. says) from Watt Ave. to the Sunrise Brigde and back. It was really nice because there was a horse path in the shade, so we were basically trailrunning the whole time and didn't sun burned. That area of Sacramento is so beautiful and I just love the trees up there. We saw mule ear deer, squirrels, hawks, peacocks, rabbits and mountain lions. Ok, we didn't see mountain lions, but I loved that Ruth points out that a couple of years ago a lady was running near where we were and got eaten by a mountain lion. Then she tells me to make myself look bigger while running to prevent the mountain lion from eating me. I almost tripped and fell. Good advice from the Gods Must Be Crazy movie.
We weren't too sore from the 4 hour run, but we had so much to do that we couldn't just chill afterwards. We stopped by Nana and Grandpa's to get our shower on and then hit up the quilt store for some final pieces for the 3 that I am currently making. Later that night Uncle Lenny came over to extract some of our honey. We have 4-5 hives and that night they canned about 5 gallons of honey and only did half of what was there. You can see the pic of Ruthie and one of the combs. I went to Erin's to finish up the mum and watch Finding Nemo. Favorite line "oh, you guys made me ink."
Saturday we got our shop on after I hit up the gym like a mad women. Well, like someone who had run a lot the day before and hadn't done weights in who knows who long. My recreational reading was provided by Erin, a nice little book called "Bridging the Gap of Poverty." It was all about the poverty cycle and what educators and officials need to know about family lives of the poor. I took a quiz to see whether I am lower, middle or upper class. But the crazy thing is that I answered "jes" to every category, so I decided that I defy all these established classes and classify myself in the foxy class.
Ruthie is going to France without me, I don't think it will be all that fun for her, and needed to get some clothes. While shopping at Stockton's best mall we walked through the cosmetics counter at Dillard's and WHOA that place is a runway just waiting for Heidi Klum to come and give it 12 hours to turn a piece of scrap metal into a dress with a matching purse. I had a nice dinner with E$ and got my quilt on that night. I mananged to swing by Tiger's Yogurt, home of the best frozen yogurt for the umpteenth time(4th) and last of the trip. I really like that Oreo cookie yogurt, it speaks to me. Beth met me there and we had a nice little chat. She is so happy and so much fun to be with.
Sunday was the big day. We got to talk to the Philly Boy in South Africa. He sounds that same and is having a marvelous time in the jungle. I brought down my mum's mum and she loved it. Ruthie knew I was making something for her and I told her "You will either love it or hate it, but just remember I spent a lot of time making it." She loved it and wore it to church and jingled with every step she took.
I think the best moment was when we were talking to couple about their daughter's wedding plans and Ruth mentioned that the corsages at Safeway were nice, but too heavy. The guy looks at her mum and says "You would know," and we all just start laughing.(names have been witheld to protect the innocent) I had to put 2 pins on the back to make sure that it wouldn't tear her shirt, it was heavy.
Ruthie teaches the 16 and 17 year olds in church and brought her lesson to church, but didn't bring her glasses and asked me to read it, she hands it to me and I look at the title and think "She's got to be joking me." It read "I was blind, but now I can see." I read it to her and she realizes that it was the lesson from last week, so I end up teaching her lesson for her. That was my real Mum's Day gift to her.
We had a wonderful dinner at Nana and Grandpa's made by Uncle Lenny and Aunt Betsy. Curtis, Tamara, Uncle Phil and Garrett were all there too and they gave us Victoria Secret Lotion too. It was really nice to see everyone and catch up.
We then shuttled over to Curtis' new house to check out his chickens(no he doesn't live in the country) and to check out his potential bee hive location. Overall I had a really nice time and it was great to see everyone. I brought the wrong homework book home and so I got to stay up late last night writing a paper and sentances in Italian. Yeah, I've got Senioritis bad. I wasn't even phased by it. It was such a fun weekend and I was able to do a lot of fun stuff and see my friends and family. I miss the Stock-town and my Mum. She's a great Mum. Notice the return of the pirate shirt of Spring Break 2007?
1 comment:
Wow! I am very impressed. What a Mum! Your mom must be so proud of your arts and crafts talents.
Post a Comment