Friday, March 5, 2010

What do I do for the Sports Broadcasting Companies?

I get this question asked frequently, so I thought I'd break it down for ya'll. I even have a picture to show what my world is like. I've worked 2 Jazz games and the BYU at Utah this last week and it has been fun. The job at times is stressful, but I get paid to watch sports, seriously???? I try not to be flippant about it, but it does rock my world. It's really not that glamorous though. I sit in a trailer with 6 screens and watch the scoreboard from inside the arena, make sure ours is correct, throw in some promos and team stats. That's really where all the fun is.

I have a stat person/computer that I can ask things and if I notice something is interesting I can try to sell it to the director to have me throw it on screen. Not everything I deem notable is viewed, there's a lot more that goes on behind the screen. Some crews have set programs and some just fly by the seat of their pants, you never know how it's going to be. Also, it can be very stressful and lots of people yelling at the same time, so I really have to pay attention.

But I must say that I do enjoy roaming around arenas and bumping into the players and watching them get ready for the game. I love sports and love to be around athletes. Brings back the good old days. I just love how a team really has to be unified for it to win or play well. It never works if just one person is the star. Here is a pic of my little view of the games.

Yes I took a really quick photo while no one is in there. Life is pretty sweet in the SLC!

No comments: