Monday, February 25, 2008

For the Pure Love of VHS

Recently my computer aka DVD player and machine that enables me to watch tv shows online, broke. About a month ago and since I had no DVD player or computer to watch online episodes, there was only one choice.
Located on my dresser stands a large black box that I've rarely used in the last 2 years. It's capabilities are restricted by technology but the joy I get from it is limitless. I'm talking high quality, cutting edge technologically-forward VHS. Yah, you remember those things!
I bought this thing in high school and have dragged it around with me to San Diego. When I went on the mish, I left it in the hands of some good friends, who kept great care of my VHS magical box.
Since I've moved into my latest move in September, I haven't used it...until now. Within the last month I have rekindled my love for VHS and have throughly enjoyed it. I didn't keep many movies to watch and was limited to what was left to me, by former roommates (aka Lindsey the Scot) and my list included:
4 Star Wars movies
Sneakers

As you can see, I had some really great titles, but not much variety. After watching Star Wars for the umpteen time and still not really knowing in which order to watch them, I decided that I needed to expand my horizons.

Then I found a pot of gold(aka my sister's eclectic collection of VHS masterpieces. Since finding out about this library of treasures I've been able to "borrow" several major motion picture classics like:

Hello Again, with Shelley Long as a returned from the dead stay-at-home mom
Legend, starring Tom Cruise and his unibrow of hotness
Muppets from Space

My life will never be the same again. How can I watch things in HiDef or just completely skip the ads for other movies before viewing the movie of choice? I don't know, I just don't know. There's something comforting and familiar about VHS, I can't really explain it, but its been really fun to reconnect with the technology of my childhood.
But now, I have a new computer and my big black box has been just sitting there for the last week or so, unused and unloved. I don't want to neglect it now that I have unlimited access of old episodes of Ugly Betty or 30 Rock. Or I might just give it to Stephy and Jerry because theirs is broke.

1 comment:

Blog Blah said...

Julia, I still have a bunch of VHS if you don't end up giving it to your sister =) You can also have me bring some over to you!